Digital Storytelling | Poster

Today, I’ll be going through the steps I took to draw, and print my poster.

I drew my picture out in Paint Tool Sai, which isn’t available on school computers, but if you want to draw on the computer and your willing to put in some money, I definitely recommend this program. (Link to a free trial here (

The first step I made to create my poster was drawing the linework. I always start with the line work when I’m creating any kind of cartoon drawing. For the blur effect I used on the creeper, you simply


For the blur effect I used on the creeper, I used the weight tool and lowered the lines density, and gave it a lower edge shape. This is the comparison between a non-blurred line and a blurred line.


After this, I colored in the drawings.



You’d be tempted to start adding the lighting, but you should wait until you choose your backdrop. When you do your lighting, you should know exactly what all your light sources are. So if you start coloring with a white backdrop, the characters will be lit as if they were standing in white, not if they were standing outside. For my backdrop, I used a blurred picture of a street I found online.


Heres the background with the what I had so far.

Background & Image


Now I added the basic lighting, this would be the shadows from the primary light source, which in this case is the sun from the right. When you do this you should get this.

Basic Lighting


After this, I added the extra lighting. This would be the light from the secondary light sources. For example, the blue sky actually produces blue light. This gives everything outside a blue hue. Without this, our picture looks unnatural.

Extra Lighting


Then I’ll add lighting bloom to the image. This is when light sources produce glare that bleeds into the surrounding areas. This doesn’t matter as much as the two above, but it’s a nice touch that adds some realism. You notice this especially from where their heads meet with the sky. You can see that the blue of the sky seeps into the lines of the head.

Added Bloom

After this, I added the captions of the joke, a white border, and tweaked the colors a bit to create the final image.



After this, I exported the picture to Illustrator to convert the file to a format that the printer can read (which is EPS). A problem I had during this process was that my image was much larger than the canvas. So big that illustrator said it was too big to shrink. If you ever come across this, there’s a surprisingly simple. If you put the picture you want to shrink in isolation mode, you’ll be able to set its size using the scale transformation tool.

To isolate the image, double-click it. This should allow you to properly scale it down. To do this right click the image you want to shrink, go down to “Transform”, then hit “Scale…”.


After this, you should get a menu that will allow you to shrink the image by percentages. You can shrink it however much you want, I shrunk by 10% each time.

After this, I sent it to the computer connected to the printer in the MacLab. After we tweaked the file type, (.ai to .eps). We printed. If you want additional information, here are pictures of the sizes and settings.


Then I let it print.


After this I let it sit for a day. Then after I cut it out, I hung it up in my room.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email