ComTech Course: Digital Media Tools (3-5 credits)
September 2013-January 2014
COM1145: Animation 1
- Students are introduced to a variety of animation techniques and produce a simple animation; the focus is on basic skills, including planning, keyframing, stage set-up, and production, used to create a moving picture
- Create a 2D Flash animated interactive storybook for young readers (images scanned/recreated from an existing kids storybook).
- Select Product -> Select Topic -> Read the Tutorial -> Download resources -> Complete Tutorial -> Publish Recreation(s) -> Publish Original Creation(s)
The Basics for Creating a Story Book:
Principles of Animation 1: Timing, Squash, and Stretch
Principles of Animation 2: Slow In & Slow Out, Arcs of Motion, and Anticipation
How to make button in Flash CS4
How to make a fly fly in Flash CS4
Flash Text effects
Flash CS 4 Manual
“Flash in a Flash”
Learning Flash CS4
Flash and Action Script Tutorials
- Students are introduced to the basics of computer graphics (vector and raster), and graphic computer programs.
- Create a portfolio of original and recreated raster and vector images.
- Select Product -> Select Topic -> Read the Tutorial -> Download resources -> Complete Tutorial -> Publish 3 Raster Recreation(s) -> Publish Original Raster Creation(s) -> -> Publish 3 Vector Recreation(s) -> Publish Original Vector Creation(s)
- Create your own monster
- Students develop essential skills in camera use with a focus on basic composition, set-up and an examination of exposure. Students operate a camera to capture images and produce final display proofs.
- Create a portfolio of original photographs in response to the following “LearnEverywhere” tutorial and 5 photography assignments.
- Select the project -> complete the lesson guide -> download attachments -> publish 5 assignments
- Project 1
- Project 2
- Project 3
- Project 4
- Project 5
- Students acquire basic production skills, including planning, recording and editing, through the production of simple audio and/or video project using basic equipment and techniques.
- Create a 2-3 minute Garageband audio podcast supporting a subject assignment in a class you are or will be taking this year. Or try this snowflake.
- Create a 1-3 minute iMovie video using still images and copyright free music.
- Create a 2-3 minute iMovie video using original video containing 7 or more shots. OR Create a short film using excerpts from clips from this site
- Students explore different media forms and examine their impact on personal, community and national interests. Using various media, students will plan, create and present a message.
- Create two 3-5 minute original Garagband/iMovie video podacasts from a script exploring different media forms and examine their impact on personal, community, and national interests.
ComTech Course Summaries:
Detailed ComTech Course Outcomes:
Detailed Information Processing Couses Outcomes
Survey the course summaries -> browse the specific course outcomes -> choose Adobe workshop videos and apple.ca(iMovie and Garageband) resources -> publish/present recreated media -> publish/present original media
Most iMacs/Macbooks have the Adobe Master CS3 suite of media tools and iTunes/iMovie/iDVD/Garageband.
We have only 5 digital video and 5 digital SLR cameras. Students will need to pair up or work in small groups to share/manage cameras.
Students saving rich media(ie Garageband and iMovie projects) will need to be assigned workstations and have back-up USB(2-4GB) storage on hand to start and close every class.
Students are expected to complete the outcomes for at least 3 courses. Outcomes from multiple courses may be combined into a single comprehensive project.