Changing the theme and widgets for your site
- go to the appearance option on the left side of the iblog homepage once your mouse is on it a mini selection menu will appear, click customize.
- once you are on the customization page, there will be a menu on the left side of the screen, this is your customization list. On the top there will be a “change” option, press on that to change your theme.
- there is other customize options in the list like: site identity, colours, header image and so on. Select the widget option on that list.
- select sidebar and a new list will appear. At the bottom of that list there will be a reorder and an add widget option. This is how you change your widgets. You might need to activate a few “plugins” but Ill tell you how.
activating a plugin jQuery colorbox
- On the left side bar of your iblog dashboard, there is a list of options. Browse through the list and you will see that plugin option, select that option.
- There will be a list of all the available plugins to activate. On the top right on this list there will be a big search bar that says “search installed plugins”. This is where you search for your specific plugin.
- When searching for the plugins you must have the relatively specific name for the plugin or else it might not show up when it is searched. If you search a plugin such as jQuery Colorbox you have to make sure that you spell it correctly and have the letters that need to be capitalized are and the ones that are supposed to be lowercase are, or it might not show After searching it and the correct one that your looking for shows up then there should be a blue activate option below the name of the plugin, if that is the one that you want to activate then click activate. It may take a second to activate but when it does you will be all set up. If you ever want to deactivate a plugin that you previously activated the you should go to the deactivate option at the top left of the plugins page and in that list there will now be a deactivate option below the name of it, click it and you will deactivate that particular plugin. That is how you activate and deactivate a plugin such as jQuery Colorbox.
CHANGING THE TITLE, TAGLINE, READING VISIBILITY/PRIVACY:
- Go to the same appearance option that you went to for both the customizing how to guides before this one. Like it to open the customizing page one again.
- There should be the same list of customize option that should seem a little bit more familiar to you by now. At the top of the list under the active theme option you should see a site identity option, click on it.
- This is where you will change the title and tagline of you iblog. You will see the title and then an either empty or auto filled box below the word title. Click that auto filled space and name it something that is appropriate and personal to you.
- Below the box where you put the title of your blog there will be the word tagline and an already automatically filled box below it that probably says “Just another STJ blog”. Delete this auto filled sentence and change it to whatever you think suits you better, whether it be one of your favorite short quotes or even just any little statement that you think would be cool. You an also leave the tagline how it was with the auto fill but I would recommend personalizing it so that your blog looks and feels more like it is your own personal site. This is how you change the title and tagline of your iblog site.
SETTING YOUR PROFILE GRAVATAR:
- When changing or setting a Gravatar ( a.k.a profile picture) first you should see if you have a WordPress account. If you don’t have an account I’m sure it will work and if not you will need to set one up. If you already have one, or if you don’t I’m sure you can still do this. Go to the top right of your dashboard site where there should be a quote or some type of sentence that has your name at the end of it. one you are there a few options should pop up below that sentence.
- Click on the edit profile option and one the page loads you have to scroll down until you find the words profile picture on the left side of the page you have been scrolling through. it might say ” you can change your profile picture with Gravatar”. The word Gravatar should be a blue hyperlink, click on it and it will take you to the WordPress page. Click sign in and see if you already have an account, if you don’t you will have to set one up.
- If you have an account already set up then you just have to log in to that account and after logging in or connecting it to your google account then it will automatically take you to your manage Gravatar page where you can change, remove or add photos that with Gravatar. The page you will be looking for should look like the image below.