DIRECTIONS: Write a well-organized composition on the topic below.
Many works of literature depict cultures in which rituals and/or traditions play a central role. Some characters conform to the specific demands of their culture or community; others defy these demands and face outrage or even exile.
From the novels, short stories, full-length plays, films, and poems you have read, select a work in which a character’s life is directly shaped by his or her culture. Using specific references from the work, describe the rituals and traditions of the culture, the way they shape the character’s life, and their importance to the overall work.
As you write your composition, remember to:
- Give the title and the author of the work.
- Focus on a character whose life is shaped by his or her culture.
- Give specific examples, reasons, and details from the work to explain the rituals and/or traditions of this culture, their influence on the character’s life, and their importance to the overall work.
- Give any necessary plot information but avoid giving a plot summary.
- Write in complete sentences.
- Write coherent and well-developed paragraphs.
- Use correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, and capitalization.