DIRECTIONS: Write a well-organized composition on the topic below.
Certain lawmakers propose passing a law that requires all cyclists, skateboarders, and roller bladers to wear helmets. Helmets prevent head injuries, and such a law would save many lives. However, many people who enjoy these sports claim that such a law would violate their individual rights. They argue that helmets are inconvenient and uncomfortable and that it is up to each individual to decide whether or not to wear protective headgear.
Imagine that your province is considering passing such a law. People who fail to wear helmets would face a $150 fine. Write an editorial in which you either support or criticize this proposed law. Clearly state your opinion and justify it using a series of clear, well-supported points. Make sure to anticipate and address the arguments of the opposing side.
As you write your composition, remember to:
- Clearly state your position.
- Include at least two points that support your position.
- Explain your points using examples and details.
- Consider arguments that may be made against you.
- Write in complete sentences.
- Write coherent, well-developed paragraphs.
- Use correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, and capitalization.