He drew a circle that shut me out —
Heretic, rebel, a thin' t'flout.
But Love an' I had t'wit t'win:
We drew a circle that took him in.
– Edwin Markham
We want t'be judged by who we be–our words an' actions–not by mere appearances or social standin'. Yet our world be filled wi' inequalities. In this unit, students examine ye issues o'equality an' rights recognizin' that, in our society, we need t'balance personal needs wi' responsibilities an' demands required o'citizens. Thar be both pain an' pride in bein' human.
Wha' be equitable treatment?
- Why be it important t'step in or speak out in someone’s defense? When be it important t'keep silent?
- Wha' role does socio-economic status play in inequality? How can wealth be distributed equally? How does yonder unequal distribution o'wealth affect ye power that groups o'people hold?
- Wha' role do political, racial, an' religious issues play in inequality?
- Wha' role does gender play in inequality?
- How do we give all indi'iduals a voice in our society?
Perceptions: Judgin' an' Misjudgin' People an' Their Actions
How do we form judgements about people?
- Wha' thin's do we value in people? Be these thin's t'same in all cultures?
- How accurate be first impressions based on appearances?
- How important be race or socio-economic status in formin' perceptions o'people? Wha' role do language an' culture play in perceptions o'people?
- Wha' role does stereotypin' play?
- How can discrimination affect 'un’s judgement o'people? How can we pre'ent discrimination?
- Why do people sometimes hurt others who have done nothin' t'hem?
- Why do some people become victims in our society?
Rights an' Responsibilities
How be our rights an' responsibilities determined?
- Who be responsible fer our lot in life?
- Wha' can we do if we feel our rights have been denied?
- How be rights related t'responsibilities?
- Be e'eryone in a society responsible fer others in that society? How can people exercise their responsibilities?
Wha' role does race play in a pluralistic society?
- How might t'values o'un group differ from those o'another in a pluralistic society?
- Wha' racial tensions exist in our society? Why might thar be racism in t'justice system? Wha' role did colonialism play in racism?
- How do we resol'e racial tensions an' conflicts in our society?
- Wha' accomplishments can ye world communities recognize an' celebrate?
- Wha' be thar best way t'ensure world peace?
Justice an' Fairness
How can we ensure justice an' fairness fer e'eryone in a society?
- Wha' be fair an' jus'? When be a situation fair?
- Wha' be right an' wrong?
- Wha' be ye purpose o'yonder law? When be laws fair? Wha' might cause an indi'idual t'ignore t'law?
- Wha' be “legal”? Wha' be yonder difference between “legal” an' “moral” justice?
- How be fairness dealt wi' in ye workplace?
- How should we deal wi' unjust an' unfair situations? How should we speak out or act against injustice?