Who is the hero in this story? Explain why you think so.
- I believe that Claude is the hero in this story because like Michelle he has also suffered from leukemia. He knows what it feels like and he talks with Michelle and kind of brings a sense of happiness to her, making her feel like she will always have a friend like him who has gone through the same thing and won’t just stop talking to her because she has cancer. He was a friend to talk to and gave her some hope that everything will be just fine. A hero in my opinion is a person who show courage and brings hope into someone’s lives, no matter the state of that the person is in. Claude still managed to make Michelle happy even though he was ill. Claude helps bring Michelle this inner feeling of determination to fight and keep hoping.
What is the turning point? In what way does Michelle change?
- I feel like the turning point in Michelles life is when Michelle is talking with her secret admirer, Claude, she asks him a question that was continually on his mind. “Do you ever feel like sometimes you’d rather die than be poked by one more needle”. As soon as she asked that question it was like a turning point in her life as that question was what was holding her back from possibly opening up to those around her. Later on in the story, Rob shows up to the hospital and as they are talking, Michelle was finally able to open up to Rob in which allowed her to change from the person she thought she was back to the one she always was. This turning point was definitely a beneficial way that changed Michelle for the better. She was finally able to let go of all these burdens of questions that were building up a wall inside of her.
What is the overall message and mood?
- The mood in this short story has a feeling of somberness but a great passion of hopefulness. The overall message in this story is never give up and lose hope because there is always a spark in you that will light up, but only if you start it. Never stop fighting for something you want, because once you stop fighting everything that you’ve worked for to that point will be wasted. In this case, the story is about never losing hope, as Michelle is starting to lose hope. Even in the hardest times you need to rise up or you will just keep falling into the places where you never thought you’d be. Everyone has experienced some type of hardship in their life whether its losing a close person, cancer, having a bad day or even something traumatic that has happened in the past, but you can’t keep thinking about the past, you need to go into the present and make the most of it.
Why is humor an important part of this story?
- Humor in this story is important because it helps show that even if you are in your darkest moments, the things in life that make you laugh or even just smile, will always be there to lighten things up. Humor in this story helps to show Michelle’s way of seeing any good moment in her life when things are not in her best odds. It also helps people have a little bit of enjoyment when reading stories that may not be so happy and bright. Humor lets people see the light and hope in dark situations that might be either occurring in their everyday lives or just in the stories people read.
Why do you think Alison Lohans calls her story “The Michelle I Know”?
- I think Alison Lohans calls her story “The Michelle I Know” because when the turning point in her life had happened, she changed back to the “old michelle”. When people experience things that happen to have an impact on them, it tends to change them for the better. MIchelle always focused and thought the worse, but when that one moment in her life became a big turn around for her, she changed. “The michelle I know” is showing that the Michelle from before was way different than the Michelle that everyone else knew before she was in this state.
- Conch shell : used as a symbol of power by Ralph (chapter 1)
- Johnny : first little boy to be found, only has one clean pink thumb
- Surmounted : to overcome a great obstacle(pg 26)
- Suffusion : something slowly spreads through something else; like colour or feeling
- Embossed : carve, mold or stamp a design in.
- Clamorously : to shout loudly
- The choir : group of boys lead by Jack, dressed in all black with silver patches
- Lagoon: a shallow body of water separated from a larger body of water, has a reef and is sheltered and protected.
- Piggy’s specs : symbolism of resourcefulness, intelligence, problem solving,Innovation
- Impalamble : unable to be felt by touch
- Detritus: waste or debris of any kind
- Long scar : represented from the crashed that was caused by the plane.
- Candle buds : flowers on top of the mountain, Jack slashed them and scent spilled out of them.
- Pink Granite- trees are dying, criss cross pattern of tree trunks and long beach.
- Maurice- the boy who is always grinning
- Fire- What piggy’s glasses were used for
- Wait- patient, hope, listen ( things the boys are not good at)
- Chief- being nominated to lead the group
- Coral reef : encloses more than half the island, lying about a mile out parallel to what they now thought as their beach
- Golden badge : colour of the badge on jacks cap
- Knife- going to be used as violent for killing
- Simon- first to mention hunger, and apologize
- Teamwork- when the boys decide to climb the mountain
- Humiliation: jacks feeling when he could not kill the pig (chapter 2)
- Roger : the person who decides that there should be be a vote for the chief
- Ralph : the boy who was voted into being chief.
- Empathy- Jack not killing the pig
- Scornful: feeling or expressing contempt or derision
- Pallid: a persons face being pale, typically because of poor health, used to describe Simon’s smile after he faints
- Dazzle paint : word used to describe the face paint the hunters used to kill the pig, was red, white and black.
- Conscience- an inner feeling or voice viewed as acting as a guide to the rightness or wrongness of one’s behavior.
- Jack : leader of the choir. Tall with red hair and angry, serious blue eyes.
- Pig poop : olive green and steaming, fresh
- Mirages: something that appears real or possible but is not
- Pacific- geography where the boys are located and crash landed (pg 61)
- Guilt: blood on the hands from killing the pig
- Foreshadowing : technique used by the author when he mentions the fallen palm trees and the female pig
- Violence- jack punching Piggy
- Effulgence- brightness to an extreme, stunned or dazzled by it. Chapter 1 (pg 14)
- Exasperation-a feeling of intense irritation or annoyance. (chapter 2)
- Ebullience- the quality of being cheerful and full of energy; exuberance. (chapter 2)
- Antagonism- active hostility or opposition. (chapter 3)
- Indignation : anger or annoyance provoked by unfair treatment
- Blatant : done openly and unashamedly.
- Hiatus- a pause or gap in a sequence, series, or process.(chapter 1)
- Recrimination- an accusation in response to one from someone else. (Chapter 2)
- Malevolently- having or showing a wish to do evil to others.
- Gyration : a rapid movement in a circle or spiral
Piggy’s quote – Life is scientific (page 90)
Within the book, Lord Of The Flies, numerous quotes have been mentioned based on events that have been happening throughout the novel. Piggy brings up a specific quote that really makes our brains work overtime. “Life is scientific” makes us believe that something is this world is truly a great piece of work.
“Life is scientific” was quoted by one of the main characters named Piggy. Life being related to as scientific has endless possibilities to its meaning. We could talk about how this island is like a laboratory and how all these children are the experiments. These children were placed on this island and its like they are doing experiments on how children can survive on an island without adults. Piggy stating this quote is showing how he is arguing that you can’t necessarily work with imaginary evidence. Doctors don’t work with imaginary evidence everyday, they work with real evidence. What Piggy is referring to is that the supposed called “beastie” that the little ones have talked about on the island is what numerous would call imaginary evidence.
Another way the quote could be interpreted as is how this island and this life the boys are living, or even life in general, is a discovery. We are like scientists, discovering the ways of life each and everyday. The world is like our laboratory, and we are doing the experiments and discovering new possibilities about how we live and survive. This world could be interpreted in countless ways but we always refer back to the most important one. We will always keep asking ourselves the same question over and over, but maybe we have to be our own scientists and discover the world ourselves.
The meaning behind life being scientific as quoted by Piggy, is the fact that is trying to make sense of something unknown and putting reasoning behind it. Scientists every day discover something unknown by doing the exact same thing Piggy is trying to do. Piggy is trying to prove that there is no beast like creature on this island by putting the reason of fear behind it. The human being itself has their own power to take mind over matter over any beast or creature on the island. In science, everything is calculated and anything that is done or even created has happened for a specific reason no matter any circumstance. He is trying to prove that things in life aren’t just drawn upon luck but instead upon true facts. He tries to point out that things in a lab aren’t completely true unless they have solid evidence for reasoning. Piggy explains that unless they have solid evidence that this “beast-like creature is real, then it is most likely that the boys took the power of mind over matter, and created this beast that is now only causing fear.
Piggy might have brought up science and fear because in science, fear has a scientific explanation for everything that is behind the term “fear”. Life is so unpredictable and unexplainable that there is no such thing as fear except what fear could do to someone. Piggy is trying to convince them that everyone has become so obsessed with the “beastie” creature that they have become some type of animal. Goulding tries to bring forward the idea that science behind life should be done with a rational sense. If you continue to think unrational, then your whole world is then surrounded with fear, and that is when you start becoming like an animal. I love this quote because it truly relates to this topic of life being scientific. “The fear of facing your fears is harder to overcome than the fear itself” – anonymous. It shows that fear is harder to face because sometimes fear is what controls you.
Fear is a great power that can mess with the brain. Don’t mess with fear because then that’s when chaos will begin. They need to trust the science behind life because everything happens for a reason.
The qualities between a political leader vary’s for the reason being that all leaders have different aspects, views and opinions about how to lead a country. For one being honest and trustworthy is a huge quality. Experience is another key quality to have as a leader. Being an open-minded leader and having passion is two other really good qualities to have as a leader. Thoughtfulness is another important quality to have as a leader.
The first quality of a political leader is truly honesty and trustworthy. Being an honest political leader helps build a bond of trust between themselves and the citizens. That builds a foundation of trust that could be beneficial in the future years of being a political leader. When the citizens of the country, province or even a town have trust in their leader it tends to build a better and stronger. That will benefit you as a leader and the individuals in the country. Another benefit of being trustworthy to the individuals is the fact that they may feel they could bring their concerns to the leader. They would still be able to feel that they could bring any of their concerns forward and not having to worry about others criticizing them for their opinions.
Experience is another key quality when being a political leader. When leading a nation you want to have knowledge about politics. I believe that someone with zero knowledge/experience about politics becomes the next leader for a country, the chances of each individual feeling like nothing good is happening for them could lead to a weaker nation. You need to have experience with running a country and experience with knowing how to be a good leader in the citizens eyes. If the citizens feel that nothing good is happening that will strengthen their country, it will truly reflect against the leader in power. Someone with experience and knowledge in the politics area will have a better chance with pleasing the nation and it’s people than someone with zero experience for the simple fact being that they will have more knowledge about how to create a stronger nation.
Being an open-minded leader helps you to fulfill the needs of your citizens. Listening to their concerns about upcoming events that may affect their life. Having an open-mind could even allow you to listen to their opinions and ideas that they may want to see happen or even change. Fulfilling the needs of your citizens makes the nation come together even more than the leader doing what he/she may want. It also shows that you are willing to make adjustments or implement ideas just to fit individuals lifestyles. I believe that this is a major key quality that political leaders should have because this is how a country becomes stronger and even comes closer.
A leaders passion for something shows how much being a leader for his/hers nation is important to them.The way a leader does or shows their commitment to what they do is pure passion. If a leader does not have passion, they are simply just doing it for the money and fame. That might be the case or they could have so much passion in what they do that they provide the country with anything that would be beneficial to each individual. Passion is what drives someone to be their best and that is an amazing quality to have. You truly know when a leader has passion because you will see it through their nation and everything they do. Someone’s passion can make a difference in what they do.
The last key quality is thoughtfulness. Every decision or action could either benefit or harm a country. Whenever a leader makes a decision he should have in his mind about how this might impact the nation and not just themselves. Any decision that is made should be answered with the question “how could this impact myself but also how could it impact the country”. You shouldn’t just make decisions because that’s what you think is best for yourself but how it might be affecting the country or each individual. Any leader should have this quality because being a political leader isn’t just about yourself it’s about others, it’s what you think can benefit you and the country that picked you to lead them because they were being thoughtful when they chose you.
Any political leader that has or are going to be leading our country should have some if not all of these qualities. They are major aspects of how our nation may come together or even how each individual may live.
Greece, a country with religious easter traditions is where St. Jerome’s grade eleven and twelve students went on for their school trip. These students went on this trip over the Easter break to experience different traditions in the Greek country. Participating in the discussion allowed me to expand my knowledge on Greek traditions. I found out that even though Greece is in a different country, they have some similar Easter traditions like us Canadians as well as numerous different traditions that we do not do during the Easter. It is so interesting to find out their own traditions and see how different we celebrate the holiday!
During Easter, there are lots of candle lighting in the church for someone they care about. The Greek church has a helicopter that comes from military air base in Jerusalem with the first candle that was lit on Easter. The flames then are put all over Greece and after a parade is done after the flame is lit, the stroke of midnight people are standing outside the church. The Tug boat guys hand out candles to everyone but the people don’t cheer when they go up the mountain, they announce christ is risen and light all the candles. All these candles that are handed out to everyone is homemade candles. The challenge is to take the candle back to your house and light one of your own candles. By doing this, it brings good luck to those who do. They will then have a good year.
The official state religion in Greece in the Greek Orthodox church. Similar to Catholic religion, during Easter week except in Greece, people all around town bring flowers to the church on Holy Thursday. They then use the flowers and decorate the bed that they lie Jesus on. Then on Friday, they carry Jesus through the streets in the brier, in which all of the flowers are covering. A brier is the coffin in which Jesus lies in. On the Thursday mass, Priests sing the mass. There are 21 readings that take place on Thursday. Everything that goes on inside the church, you can hear it on the outside with the speakers for the bigger churches. Everyone stands for the entire mass as in some churches there are no chairs. People walk around the church when mass is going on.
The food that Greece people eat are similar to what we eat during the Easter time but some foods may be different based on their culture and religion. In Greece orthodox church, you are not allowed to eat any kind of meat or any kind of fish, 7 days before receiving the Eucharist during Easter time. On Easter Saturday, the meal will consist of seafood but not any fish. This could include any type of seafood. On Easter Sunday, the feast the all Greece people eat is lamb. On Sunday you would go to the market and buy lamb parts and pieces for the feast. It would be so busy at the markets since everyone is getting ready for the feast of lamb. Dessert was another popular item in Greece. Halva, is a like the filling inside a chocolate bar. It is sold in bigger cubes wrapped in plastic. The Easter donuts they also sell in Greece are like Greek bannack. They put the dough on a cylinder that rotates to create the donut with the circle hole in the middle.
At the stroke of midnight, every church in Greece let off fireworks at the same time. They all light up the sky with colourful bursts of light during the Easter time. Explosions on the street will just blow up when it hits midnight. Teengers would be waiting outside the church as it was going on through the evening waiting for midnight to hit. Numerous teens would light some fireworks before midnight hit. As children’s parents were at church, the kids would be outside the church and playing soccer.
I learnt so much about Easter in Greece. The traditions that they do to celebrate is very interesting to hear about!
Us as humans are a whole. We adapt to changes such as the weather. It starts to get warm and all of a sudden it starts snowing. That is an adaptation in which makes us a whole. Interacting with one another in a community is another way we become whole. We use our skills that we have adapted as we have grown, and put them when we communicate with other whole’s in a society. As life goes on and on, we have our mind set on being perfect all the time. We want to strive to perfection, and as we do that, we are becoming more of a whole than what we were in the beginning.
The speaker describes the “man” so objectively in the first nine lines of the poem because the speaker is showing how for someone to lose such an important piece of his body is a great loss. He explained how he had two hands but when he began doing his job and one hand got caught up in the belt, he soon only had one functioning hand. All his fingers on the one hand were amputated and patched in which it enabled him to do his job. It also explains how his hands were insured however he could use them to make money from his job. Whatever job he was performing at the time, caused him to use his hands to gain the profit. Without his hands, it is physically impossible for the man to continue his job and his life if he cannot work to produce money.
The tone of the poem changes after the first nine lines because the first nine lines talked about how the man had lost his hands enabling him to work and describing how life would be like if you lost an important piece of your body. It makes you understand how this man could have changed his life by this incident. After the nine lines it changes to the man’s son wanting his father’s hands whole, warm, open and without fear. He doesn’t want his father’s hands to be swollen and broken but instead young and uncalloused hands. He might fear that because of the incident, his father will never be able to be whole again.
In my opinion the speaker understates about how the man lost his hands. Instead of objectively explaining what had happened to his hands, I feel the speaker could have added some more emotion on how the father had felt about his hand and what it would feel like to lose that important part of you. Although I feel the speaker overstates the fact that the father had lost a hand and all the money he would not be able to produce anymore. Money is not everything in life. It is about having your loved ones by your side the whole time and being grateful for what you have. Some people in the world don’t have food or shelter and to care about not being able to produce that money anymore is the last thing they should worry about.
The most powerful in my opinion are these lines:
Give me my father’s hands when they are not broken
and swollen, give me my father’s hands, young again,
and holding the hands of my mother, give me my father’s
hands still brown and uncalloused, beautiful hands that
broke bread for us at table.
In my opinion these are the most powerful because the son wishes he had his dad’s young hands, in which they are not broken or calloused but hands in which they would hold the hands of his mother’s. The speaker is explaining how he will truly miss everything about his father’s hands.
The significance of the title is that the title really explains it all. In the beginning, his father has both of his hands, but when a terrible work incident occurs, his father is left with one hand. The poem explains the problems in life that they are experiencing and how your hands are really truly and important piece of your body. The father now has to find another job in order for him to work and produce a profit. It would be extremely challenging for someone to lose something that they really need in life. The poem was very well written and has a powerful background to it.
The souls within people is what makes up the person and how they believe in what happens when the time comes. In my opinion, people do exist beyond a physical presence. When you pass away, your soul stays in physical presence while the rest of you goes up to heaven. When you leave the earth physically, your soul stays with the people you love. When you lose a family member, it is a difficult time but I believe that they are still here with you even though they aren’t physically here. When it is our time for our passing, we can hope to see our loved ones up in Heaven and see them in a physical sense not just their soul.
When the author says that words have smashed against these walls and and crashed up and down these halls, I feel like the author or the past people who have lived in this house have been hurt by some words. Maybe even hurtful words have been shared within the concentrate walls of the house. Another important issue is how maybe people or even the author were maybe abused in this house. There could have even been numerous deaths within the house that each new person who lived in the house were watched over by the numerous spirits. They could possibly be moving to a new house because of past memories in the old house or even leaving behind the past or what might have consisted of good or even bad memories.
The significance of the title is that the author is wondering what will be left among her house when her time passes. She wonders what parts of her will be left in the house and what parts will come with her up to her “new house”, relating to Heaven. The title “new house” is the author trying to explain that when you pass away, your soul stays on the Earth and the rest of you go up to your new house in Heaven and be with all your other loved ones. All the years that she has grown up and the memories she has made in this house and what memories will be left behind when she goes up to her “new house”.
Arlo and the speaker didn’t classify themselves as friends in the beginning of the poem but more as just farm neighbours who hung around together. As the poem continued, The two guys play football together, and one night when they were playing, Arlo and the speaker worked together as a team to get the ball to the touchdown line. As the game is over, the speaker realizes that they maybe are friends.
Someone that makes a good friend would be someone who always tells the truth. If you don’t have trust in your friend then are you really friends? If you don’t want them to go somewhere with you, tell them because if you don’t they will find out and soon have no trust within you. Another thing that makes a good friend is being respectful. Not calling each other names like “stupid” or any other rude names. Having a friend should make you happy but if they are treating you with disrespect, then how can you have any respect for them? These are all key things in order to make a good friend. If you have no trust and respect for them, it makes you not friends and probably just acquaintances.
In the poem, there was parts when friendship was shown between the two boys. When they were playing in the football game, Arlo and the speaker worked as a great team like true friends. When the ball reached the touchdown line, the point was given to Arlo. The speaker knew it should have been given to him but he didn’t really care because he was so happy for Arlo. Real friends don’t get mad if they aren’t given something that their friend was. They shouldn’t get jealous over something that they never received. That is just what a friendship is about.
The last two lines of the poem was odd because it stated “ unless my old man or his decides to move to another part of the country.” This is weird last two lines because it doesn’t fully explain what it is stating. In my opinion, it means that Arlo and the speaker will be friends until Arlo’s dad decides to move somewhere else or if the speaker’s dad decides to move somewhere else. In other opinions or thoughts from these lines could be that maybe one of them is moving but not until their fathers decide. It is a very confusing and odd way to end a poem or especially without any explanation of what it is meaning.
There were a couple jargons used in the poem that I didn’t really understand.
- Bobbles the ball across the goal line. (definition: to handle something (ball) in a clumsy or awkward way) There were multiple definitions but the one listed above is the most accurate definition that suits the poem.
- Never to mess around with Laterals. (definition: a pass thrown to the side or backwards) There were multiple definitions but the one listed above is the most accurate definition that suits the poem.
In my opinion, all the pronouns the speaker used were fairly clear, unless I missed one that I couldn’t find. I felt like the poem was well written and a very interesting one to read.
The main question is “are there multiple heavens? Numerous will state that there is one and only one Heaven but others will disagree. A few people will only go by things they may hear from the Bible while others will go by what others may say. This question could go real deep into an argument because others religions will interfere with what they believe and what others believe. Roman Catholics would believe that there is only one heaven which consists of God himself. As said in the Ten Commandments, “thou shalt have no other Gods before me”. This would lead them to believe there is only one Heaven. Another argument would be that the Bible said that there is a “third Heaven”. This would create arguments for people who believe there is only one Heaven.
When the bible talks about a “third Heaven”, in my own perspective the Bible is right. I do believe that there is only one God and he is who I believe in but I also believe that there is “multiple Heavens”. To support evidence to this theory or idea, we can believe that the scripture provides some evidence. The first Heaven is the atmosphere, where we live, breathe and serve the Lord our God, Psalm. 104:12. The second Heaven is the solar system, which consists of the sun, moon, stars and planets, Genesis 1:14-18. Lastly the third Heaven is the abode of God often referred to in the Scriptures as the heaven of heavens. It also is where an innumerable host of angels worship and serve the Lord our God, Nehemiah 9:6. When we come face to face with death one day, we shall look forward with expectation to be absent from the body “and to be present with the Lord” , who dwells in the heaven of heavens, 2 Corinthians 5:6-9.
If my grandma were here, and able to experience the delight of a warm caramel-coffee muffin, she would say she is in “seventh heaven.” In my opinion, the “seventh heaven” refers to a state of being in joyment. So if my grandma was here, and she tried a caramel-coffee muffin she would be in joy or happiness especially if it was her first time eating that muffin. In this example of the caramel-coffee muffin, my grandma would be in “heaven when she tasted the muffin because that is not normally what she might taste. Another example of being in the “seventh heaven” is when I have dance festivals, I perform my solo on stage and I receive a high award/mark, I am in the “seventh heaven. That is a personal example of when I particularly happy because it takes so much courage to get on stage and perform in front of tonnes of people.