Can life be compared to an orange?
– When comparing life to an orange it doesn’t quiet make sense. So no life cannot be compared to an orange.
Does education make someone a “scholar”?
– The definition of scholar is: “A person who is highly educated or has an aptitude for study.” Yes education makes someone a scholar.
What is greatness?
– Greatness is a concept of a state of superiority affecting a person or object in a particular place or area. Greatness can also be referred to individuals who possess a natural ability to be better than all others.
How old do you think the speaker is? Justify your response with reference to details in the poem.
– The speaker is in the 6th grade. It says “He has taken me on this journey and it’s been lifelong.” And, “I ask him what he thinks about death and he says he will gladly face it when it comes but won’t jump out in front of a car. I’d gladly give my life for this man with a sixth grade education, whose kindness and patience are true.”
For what audience do you think the poem is intended?
– I think it is intended for any kind of audience. Not just for kids or adults.
Do you think the poet ever expressed these thoughts and feelings to his father? Explain.
– Yes, because some of the things he included in the poem sound more personal to him and his life.