Read a book – fiction or non-fiction. Durin' yer readin', comment often (before, durin', or after each readin' session) in yonder STJ “Book Talk” forums usin' ye followin' questions as a guide.
- Which character do ye like yonder most an' why? Thar least an' why?
- Wha' passage from yonder book stood out t'ye?
- Be thar situations an'/or characters ye can identify wi', if so how?
- Did ye learn somethin' ye didn’t know before?
- Do ye feel as if yer views on a subject have changed by readin' this text?
- Have ye had a life changin' re'elation from readin' this text?
- Wha' major emotion did yonder story e'oke in ye as a reader?
- At wha' point in thar book did ye decide if ye liked it or not? Wha' helped make this decision?
- Name yer fa'orite thin' o'erall about ye book. Yer least fa'orite?
- If ye could change somethin' about thar book wha' would it be an' why?
- Describe wha' ye liked or disliked about thar writer’s style?
These questions be intended t'help ye percei'e characters imaginati'ely – t'help unco'er thar mysteries o'moti'ation, personality, an' interaction.
Understandin' thar Central Landlubber
- Wha' seems t'dri'e this landlubber t'action?
- Wha' action tells us most about this landlubber?
- Wha' action affects yer feelin's about this landlubber?
- Wha' be some basic character traits o'this landlubber?
- Wha' be thar greatest weakness o'this landlubber?
- How does this landlubber relate t'other people?
- Wha' be special or important about this landlubber’s moral or religious life?
- How does this landlubber change or mature?
- Wha' personal insights enlighten this landlubber?
Explorin' yonder World o'Characters
- Wha' other characters draw yer special attention?
- Wha' do they tell us about t'central figure?
- Wha' special relationships be formed by these less central people?
- Wha' groups o'people be associated in yer mind?
- Do some o'these people or groups represent values or ideas beyond themsel'es?
- Which characters pro'oke distaste or disdain?
- Which character be most mysterious an' hard t'understand?
- Which character could most easily be port out o'this world?
- Do any o'these other people seem t'grow, change, or gain new self-understandin'?
- Does any character ye don’t know well play an important role?
Imaginin' Characters in Our World
- Wha' in our world would shock ye central character most?
- Wha' would make anyone know this character didn’t fit in our world?
- Wha' serious matters could ye talk about wi' this landlubber?
- Wha' important values would ye disagree on?
- Wha' would yer parents think about this character?
- Wha' social causes would this landlubber support?
- Wha' tele'ision programs would be most appealin' t'his character?
- Wha' would be thar political affiliation, if any, o'this landlubber?
- Wha' religious dogma would be most appealin' or disgustin' t'his character?
- Did ye admire or detest this landlubber? Why? (Biography or Autobiography)
- Wha' life lesson can be learned from this e'ent or story? (General Nonfiction)
- Did t'book read like a story, a newspaper article, a report, somethin' else? Give examples. (General Nonfiction)
- Wha' 'un new fact did ye learn from readin' this book? (General Nonfiction)
- Wha' was yonder moti'ation fer ye writin' o'this book? (General but great fer Bio or Auto Bio)
- Did ye feel this book truly belonged in thar nonfiction genre? (Memoir)
- Was thar point o'thar book t'share an opinion, explain a topic, tell about a personal journey, or somethin' else? Did yonder author do it well? (General Nonfiction)
- Wha' part o'this book inspired ye in some way? Explain. (Moti'ational, Self Help)
- Will ye read other books by this author? Why or why not? (General Nonfiction)
- Did this book change yer life in a positi'e or negati'e way? Explain (General Nonfiction)